Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Here's looking at you, kid...

Did you ever notice how many great lines there are in the movie CASABLANCA? I just re-watched the movie, introducing it to my children for the first time. It has everything--romance, laughs, tears, intrigue. The perfect flick. What happened to great movies like that? It's not that I don't enjoy movies made today, it's just that for the most part they can't compare (I mean really--TITANIC vs CASABLANCA? Puh-lease) Movies like MRS. MINIVER, THE THIN MAN, THE WOMEN, TO CATCH A THIEF--they just don't make them like these any more. Mind you, I'm no movie snob--I love STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES--and I can see why AFI named CITIZEN KANE movie of the century, but it seems to me that if you have to see why KANE is movie of the century instead of just enjoying it, how can it be the movie of the century? I'm sorry, but "Rosebud" isn't all that profound. Where are the TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD-s now? OK, so the book is better, but, for that matter, where are the TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD books now ?

Currently reading: BET ME by Jennifer Crusie (A re-read for my book group)
JUST LIKE A MAN by Elizabeth Bevarly
"Rappaccini's Daughter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne, "The Reaper's Image" by Stephen King, "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker and "There will Come Soft Rains" by Ray Bradbury

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.