Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Stomach Flu

That's right. I was laid low by the bug. For twenty-four hours I didn't eat, I was racked with fever, and I slept (and a few other things that don't belong in a refined blog such as this). But the throes of illness are over, and I'm weak but fine, even if I can never eat sunflower seeds, frozen thin crust pizza and artichoke hearts again.

Have you ever noticed while in the delusions of illness, your thoughts are strange. I tried to watch a movie (Made of Honor, in case you are interested) and every time I tilted my head the story made no sense. I had to watch it sitting straight up and focusing. This is not a comment on the movie itself, but on the way my head was working. The movie made perfect sense when my head was straight. So I started pondering about the way we view our world and the skewed images we get of things. Not the best subject to dwell upon when you have a fever of 103.

Luckily, I slept again and all I can remember is having the thoughts, but not the thoughts themselves. Or maybe not so lucky. Who knows what profundity has been lost to the generations because I didn't have the presence of mind to jot my thoughts down as I was having them. Of course, I don't think I could have grasped a pen at that point.

--Gabi

Books I'm reading now:
My Rita entries (to judge)...four down four to go and I'm still not telling you the titles.

No comments: