Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Road Traveled

Notice I didn't write "less traveled." I just returned from a two week trip which put between 4K and 5K miles on my car. College tours. For the twins. And I learned a few things. Like road trips are overrated. I would rather arrive at a place and explore it for a week. Have a chance to unpack for a while, settle into the hotel room (as much as one can settle into a hotel room), and look at the details of a place. We saw lots of new places and interesting things, but we rushed past Civil War battle sites and an important Revolutionary War battle site because we didn't have the time to stop and look. Now I know the goal of this trip was to visit nine different campuses, so we had to keep to a schedule, but part of me regrets not having time in each place we stopped at. I didn't get to see the bats in Austin, spend an evening listening to music in the French Quarter, visit Margaret Mitchell's house in Atlanta, tour the cute village of Chapel Hill, spend more time at the Smithsonian (although the Museum of American History is closed right now), go antiquing in the Shenandoah Valley, or hear country music in Nashville. But I did get to see alligators on a swamp tour, eat some jambalaya, oysters, and dirty rice, and see my favorite painting in the whole world, Frederich Church's El Rio de Luz at the National Gallery. I even got to see the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution at the National Archives.

Of course, if the girls get into the colleges they want, I'll have the chance to visit those spots again.
--Gabi

Books I'm reading read (or have read recently):
The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn (which I left on the road for someone to discover)
Cover of Night by Linda Howard (with which I did the same)
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (I didn't know they could make paperbacks that size)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling (still reading it to the youngest kid)
The Trouble with Valentine's Day by Rachel Gibson
Tongue in Chic by Christina Dodd
Master of Dragons by Angela Knight
Atlantis Rising by Alyssa Day

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

College tours! We went blind this time, and Leah chose Smith, who also chose her, sight unseen. Hopefully she will not be disappointed. Where are the girls considering?

As for Harry Potter, you need to read this:

http://www.thecommonreview.org/fileadmin/template/tcr/pdf/berube61.pdf

You will really relate to it!

Gabi Stevens said...

Hey, Smith is on Alessandra's list at number two or three--Woocester Polytechnic Institute is number one. She loved Smith. Vanderbilt is Korinna's #1, followed by Emory and Tulane.

Anonymous said...

OMG I can't believe that the girls are going to college.
I miis you guy's so much and I have news.

Please shoot me an email at
fawnaleah@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Did you visit Smith? Is it really nice? The women at the London College Day made it sound fabulous. I wanted to go there!

Gabi Stevens said...

I didn't get to visit it, but alessandra did. She loved that it has a pond (they skate on it in winter--too cold for me), the dorms are actually more like houses on campus and she said it was probably the prettiest campus she had ever seen. Even now after visiting many in the South. I'm sure it's beautiful, and campus life sounds like fun.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that sounds lovely! I will visit in October for Family Weekend. I hope Alessandra ends up there! I'll meet you for Family Weekend in 08!