Sunday, October 05, 2008

Short stories

We have just finished our short story unit at school (you do know I'm a teacher by day, right?), and my students had to write their own short story for class. I gave them prompts, but they also had the option of writing something of their own. For the second year, I joined them in the writing. I have great respect for short story writers. It isn't an easy task. To write a truly great short story requires discipline and talent. A short story has to pack so much into just a few pages. Mine have turned out to be three and five pages respectively. Like my romances, they spring into my head almost fully formed.

The odd thing is that unlike my romances, which I hope have humor and wit and lightness, my short stories turn out rather twisted and dark. Hmmm. I wonder what that says about me.

--Gabi

Books I'm reading now:
The Daughters Grimm by Minda Webber
Where's My Hero Anthology by Lisa Kleypass, Julia Quinn, and Kinley McGregor

No comments: