Saturday, February 03, 2007

Life, what a concept...

Since last I wrote, I won one writing contest, and have finaled in another. So I guess it's not the writing that's keeping me from being published again. It's the production. My advice to would be writers--don't get a day job. Ahh, but it's a vicious cycle, because one does need money to live, so one works but then one can't devote the time one would want to the craft.

Never mind. The writing is coming along. Only it's in the form of a professional development dossier so that I can earn more money as a teacher next year. So far, forty pages of the driest jargon one could read. And worse, the powers that be force me to use incorrect style. The dossier is neither formal nor informal. It all grates on this language arts and literature teacher/ novelist.

Selling my soul for my daughters' college education,
--Gabi

Books I'm reading now:
six books I'm judging for the RITA, which shall remain unnamed because I do not wish to sully the reputation of this great contest
FairyDust and the Quest for the Egg by Gail Carson Levine (reading it aloud for my youngest daughter)
The Landlord's Black-Eyed Daughter by Mary Ellen Dennis, a galley I'm reading to give a quote for
The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Yup, I'm teaching it again)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Hey, I've got a seventh grade class this year too)

No comments: